Sunday, March 21, 2010

Eight Weeks In...

This past Wednesday marked what has now been eight weeks in England. Sometimes I feel like I've been here for five months. Sometimes I feel like I've been here for five days. "It's all a part of exchange," as Paul would say.

A bug has made it's way, almost full circle, around my friend group this week. I'm not sure if it's because I was a tad sick earlier on this semester, or if it's because my immune system is beast, but I'm happy to report, I've had a healthy week :) It did get a few people nervous to get sick so close to Spring Break, so a few people went to the doctors. Ambulances are everywhere in Leeds. Hey, it's free and you don't mind waiting a few hours, why not see a doctor about that stuffy nose. I won't pretend to be as knowledgeable on all the US healthcare drama as I should be, but it has been interesting seeing how it all works over here in the UK. Towson actually set me up with some sweet insurance for this semester. I'm thinking of breaking a leg just to get my moneys worth out of the thing. Kidding :)

My heart sank this week when my proffesor handed back a grade for a group presentation I'd had a part in giving a few weeks ago, and it was a 67%. My final grade is that project, plus an end of term paper, so I was slightly horrified to see that we'd recieved a D. It wasn't until after class that a girl from my group explained to me that they grade out of 80, not 100 over here, so really it was a B+. Whew. It's a little amazing that I'd been here this long, and was still yet to have recieved a grade though, ay.

In other news, I will be leaving for Italy in four days. That's four days. Like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday- BAM, Thursday morning- hello, Italy. I'm a little excited. I am traveling with three friends, Danielle, Noah and Jordan, and our plan is to fly into Venice, stay one night and one day, then head over to Rome for the next five. I'm doing some reading on the cities so that I can fully appreciate what I'm seeing. After that, it's back to the States for ten days of car rides with Ruby, coffees with Dad, baby ogling, boardwalk walking and probably twenty bubble baths.

Couldn't be more pumped for Italy, couldn't be more pumped for the USA, couldn't be more pumped about the fact that I'm living in freaking England! Oh life, you're pretty sweet :D

2 comments:

  1. "Thanks Abby. You are sweet too ..... I just am"
    -Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abby, I have been following your blog, and think it's awesome. I was over in Manchester last year doing study abroad, and it didn't occur to me to do anything like this.

    ReplyDelete