Saturday, June 12, 2010

There's no place like home

My first week back at home has been one big transition. Home is very little like I left it, but that's okay. Adrienne and I have been discussing the idea that "you can never come back home." I suppose it'd be impossible to leave for half a year and have things just as you left them 5 months ago ay. Since I've been gone, I've gained a family member, Jolie, and lost one as well, my precious mom mom. Life around my house this week has been bringing back lots of the memories I have of my moms cancer. There is slight sadness, but a definite sense of hope and togetherness, not to mention heaps of great food. Seriously, we have about 3 casseroles in our fridge right now. People have been so great :)

Flexability is key to the Ackermanns; it's what we do best. Plans change at the drop of a hat, the door is revolving, and right now Taney court is a game of musical beds with 8 of us living here, more to come tonight. This is what I love about my home. Ikea should totally use us in their table ads. Who knew you could fit 13 around a 6 seater. As I write this in my new basement bedroom that I share with Adrienne, I can hear my mom singing You Raise Me Up from the kitchen :) My new bedrooms vents offer great acoustics from almost all the rooms in our house. It's especially fun when I'm napping and Vinny and my cousins are watching the World Cup on TV upstairs.

As for me, I am loving every minute here at home. Truly, my family are my best friends. It's so good to come home to them. However, there's a part of me that's ready to jet off to Europe again right now. I've written down the places I still want to see, and it's quite the list. It's an odd sensation to feel like you've seen so much, and so little at one time. Never have I felt so excited for my future as I do now.

This post marks the end of my blog; thanks for keeping up with my adventures in England. Maybe in a few years I'll have another blog about my adventures in Greece or Prague or Argentina or where ever! I can't wait :)

Love Abby

2 comments:

  1. What!? No more blog. Lame :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, you write beautifully I loved following you and living vicariously through your adventures. What an amazing person you are with an amazing family anyone would be proud of. You a truly a special person.

    ReplyDelete