Friday, July 29, 2011

Why

Corny, but I once heard in a bible study that we should make all of our life's plans in pencil and then hand God the eraser, and now I will tell you why I am currently living in Sydney, Australia.

I met Paul two years ago after his year studying abroad at the University of Pennsylvania. I was struck by first his height and then his Australian accent, and although I didn't see him for another six months after our initial meeting, I was surprised and delighted to find that he was not a person I could easily forget. Paul fascinated me, and still does. Being in love with Paul has been one of the most challenging and rewarding things I've ever done. We work hard to make our long long looong distance relationship work, but have found that that extra effort makes our relationship that much greater :) Paul has spent the past six months living in the States which has been so wonderful. However, the US and Australian governments play a definite role in our relationship, and visa rules state that he leave the country every three months. I said goodbye to Paul in late June and he flew back home for what he'd planned to be a month long visit. Two weeks ago Paul called and told me he was on the way to the hospital with a collapsed lung. Ooooh crap.

The doctors were shocked (this same thing happened last October and they performed a surgery to ensure it never happen again) and after they temporarily fixed Paul's lung, they told him that it was only a matter of time before his lung collapsed again. This left the option of another surgery, but they warned Paul how painful it would be, (Paul and I watched a video of the surgery on youtube and probably shouldn't have...) and that the recovery would be long and hard. On top of that, he would be unable to fly for at least three months.

The decision to move down to Australia was big, but easy to make. I considered my options: Stay in America, finish up my last semester at Towson, and graduate while Paul recovered in Australia, or move graduation back another semester, head down to Oz and be with Paul while he is sick. I considered what gave my life happiness on the day to day, and I'll tell you what, it's not Towson University. And with that, I packed up and left home. People have been shocked with my news and told me they could never do this sort of thing, but I know that they probably could. I think that at the end of the day most people would drop anything and go anywhere to be with the person they love when that person's in trouble. To me, it is only natural to have moved down here. My parents have been so supportive- that has meant the world to me.

I am starting up this blog again for a few reasons:
1. I am a writing major, and to be consistently writing is the best thing I can do for myself :)
2. I LOVED blogging in England, and am so glad I did. I reread my blog and am amazed at how much of it I have forgotten!
3. This will save me from giving the same update to 18 people when I call home.
4. I enjoy it so much :) If at the end of this six months my mother is the only one reading this, and I am aware that that's a definite possibility, I won't mind :) Writing for me, is the ultimate form of stress relief and self expression. (thanks for being my number one fan, mama :D)

Here's to another adventure abroad!!








No comments:

Post a Comment