Monday, August 15, 2011

A Successful Operation

For those of you who want the facts upfront in five sentences or less (Dad), Paul is doing really well :) The surgery went off without a hitch, and Paul is mostly pain free and comfortable in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) for another few hours before he'll be moved to private room. The staff has been wonderful and attentive, and we are ready to get this recovery process started!

For those of you who like every detail (Mom), here is how it all went down.

Monday morning Paul went into surgery at about 8am. By 10am, Paul's parents and I were waiting in the hospital for him, and an hour later he arrived. Paul was awake, which surprised me, and in a ton of pain. It was hard to watch. He had about 20 tubes coming in and out of anywhere and everywhere. I am glad there are doctor shows on TV. I imagine scenes in ICUs would come as much more a shock if it weren't for them. Paul appeared emotional when he saw us, but it was clear he couldn't cry because it would hurt too badly. He was wincing and told the doctor his pain was a 9 out of 10. That was hard too- Paul's not one to whine or exaggerate at all, so I knew how much pain he must have been in. His parents kissed his forehead and I whispered prayers in his ear. The doctors were pumping morphine in him, but said it would take a bit for the meds to start kicking in. I started to feel a little dizzy, so I sat down. Just like that, my vision tunneled. Aw, crap, I thought. I wanted to warn the nurses I was about to faint, but my body refused.

I have a long history of fainting spells. I've seen heaps of doctors, and have been diagnosed with vasovagal syncope, or as they have nicknamed it- skinny white girl syndrome. There's nothing horribly wrong with me, it's just something to be dealt with. There's also nothing I can really do to avoid it. I just stay aware- sit down whenever I feel even slightly dizzy. I pass out every 6 months or so. What used to be scary is now just annoying, the worst part being where I try to explain to a circle of freaked out witnesses why I'm fine and that yes, I've eaten breakfast.

I came to with an oxygen mask on my face and a nurse saying he was going to prick my finger to test my blood sugar. I have never passed out around medical people before. Oy. I pulled my hand away from him with as much force as I could muster (I am terrified of needles!) and explained my condition. I looked over at Paul who was looking lots better. "Way to steal my thunder," he joked. It was good to see him coming back around to his normal self.

I spent the rest of the day by Paul's side. I broke the visiting hour rules which seem to tick a few nurses off, but oh well. I am so so so happy to be able to be here with him. Paul was the happiest of campers all day long. He was very chatty and sweet. He probably told me 15 times how glad we has to have me with him. He kept telling me how much fun he was having, haha. The drugs were definitely doing their job. At one point a nurse came to check Paul's eyes with a flashlight, but he opened his mouth instead. I just couldn't stop laughing about that. We watched a lot of sports and a lot of Seinfeld (Paul's favorites). By 8pm we were both sleepy and visiting hours were over. I was asleep in my bed by 9:15.

Paul had a very restless nights sleep, and not doing quite as well today. I think getting out of the ICU will do him a lot of good. The noise in that ward makes sleeping difficult. I am here today again, and will be here for the next 5 or 6 days.

Everyone has been so supportive, down here in Oz as well as in the States. I am feeling just so grateful for that.

Love to you all :) Your prayers are felt.

Love Abby


2 comments: