Saturday, May 29, 2010

Hola, Espana!

I met Sara and Heather running on Monday morning. I was actually a little scared as they came bursting through the gate, and proceeded to run full force at me down the hill. That was one epic group hug.

Having them in Leeds was a blast. They got to meet a few of the friends I still have here; most jetted off a few days prior to the girls arrival. It is odd to have people from home here- it´s like the feeling you get when you see your teacher outside of school, know what I mean?- and really cool at the same time. It´s also odd not having Adrienne here with us, as she is our fourth wheel. The door to my bedroom won´t even open fully with all three of us jammed in, but that´s what college is all about ay.

This week I said goodbye to my Leeds exchange friends, which was just as hard as I thought it would be. They are a new kind of friend group for me in that I have literally only known them for 5 months, but they have shared memories of a lifetime with me. That really creates a special bond.

Yesterday, the three of us girls flew out of sunny Leeds into rainy Barcelona (???) and met up with a friend of Paul´s, Blanca. Blanca studied with Paul at UPenn last year, so it´s been really interesting talking about study abroad with a European who´s been on exchange in America, exactly opposite of me. Blanca and her mother (Dude, can that woman cook) could not be more accommodating or hospitable. It´s a totally different experience living in an actual home of the country´s natives, as opposed to a hostel with other travellers.

Today was a great day of sight seeing with Blanca as our tour guide. We are off to eat dinner (at 9pm, as it´s done in Spain) with Blanca and some friends. More later :) AdiĆ³s!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds terrific- what a lucky girl. I hope the weather warms up so you can use the pool in their apartment complex...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh, I love seeing teachers outside of school. It's like seeing a dog walk on its hind legs."

    ReplyDelete