Friday, February 19, 2010

"Study" Abroad

Being an English major requires lots of reading (shocker, eh?). I'd be lying if I said that being abroad hasn't scrambled my priority list a little, my academics taking the most noteable fall. If I have the choice to stay in and read a novel, or spend the day in Manchester bringing in the Chinese New Year, well, that question's not even fully posed before I have my answer. Sorry, professor :/

This Tuesday found me exhasted from an awesome weekend, and completely unprepared for my Writing in a Time of Violence seminar. Honestly, I hadn't even cracked open a copy of the play I was meant to have read, so I was mildy horrified when my professor sat down and LITERALLY said "Good afternoon, everyone. Let's get started, um... (*avoids eye contact*)....Abby. What did you think of the play?"

Needless to say, I'll be dedicating some time to my studies this weekend. Can't tell you how easy it is to forget I'm here for educational purposes.

Have been feeling a cold coming on, so I went by the store today to pick up some cough drops and medicine. They asked for my ID, which threw me off. You have to be 21 to buy so much as a kitchen knife here, no joke, which is a head scratcher when you consider the drinking laws. Funny how the world works. I actually hopped into the drivers seat of a taxi cab the other week after the driver had been helping my friends and I load groceries into the trunk. He had a good laugh. Oh, to be a foreigner ;)

3 comments:

  1. Side note: You should know that I re read these posts afterwards and agonize over my spelling errors. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny about hopping into the drivers seat!! Pahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, i'd say your making the right choice (having fun/enjoying/taking advantage of your time in the UK that is, school's overrated ;)

    ReplyDelete