Thursday, January 28, 2010

The English Language

My one qualm with this blog is that I can't write everything. So much goes on in a day here, it's insane. I find myself making mental lists of things to blog on and in the end it's just too long. I'll write more important stuff tomorrow, but for now I feel like telling you this:

Had a funny miscommunication with a British boy the other day. Mid conversation he asked me "if I was taking a piss." What? Well no, I'm not taking a piss. We are standing in a kitchen. I must have looked confused, because an American girl who's been here since Septemeber informed me that "Are you taking a piss" is another way of asking "Are you joking?" Once this was clarified we all had a good laugh.

British sayings I am picking up:

Keen- as in "I'd be keen for some pancakes." (I mention this because right now I am VERY keen for some pancakes. Sigh. Oy, my diet of grilled cheese and pasta...)
I couldn't be bothered- as in "Did you check the mail today?" "Eh, I couldn't be bothered."
So catchy.

American sayings I am dropping cuz no one understands them:
College. (College is High School here. Very confusing when dropped in convo)
Dude. (They know it, they just make fun of me for it)
Trash. (They'll say "well that's a fancy word for rubbish!" haha)

Randoms:
EVERYONE LOVES OBAMA.
People often ask "So are you from the US or Australia?" Huh.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite posts so far!! Rubbish!! That's so cute! Please keep saying these when you come back to America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd like to hear what they'd say if you said "junk" or "mess" in an "Ackermann context", lol

    ReplyDelete