Monday, January 18, 2010

Over the Pond...

Well, I'm here, and it's been the quite the day. I've had about 2 hours of sleep in the last 28, so after this I will be heading off to bed.

Saying good bye to my family was at the airport was hard; I did shed some tears, but I got that 10 bucks anyway :) The flight was AMAZING. I haven't flown in about 5 years or so, but wow have things improved. Last I checked, there was one movie- if you like it cool, if not, oh well- and the choices for lunch were turkey or ham. On this flight I had my own personal screen and about 20 movies to choose from. (watched The Hangover and couldn't help laughing out loud. Sorry, guy napping infront of me) Plus I had freakin salmon for lunch. Salmon! And this green stuff I didn't recognize that was delicious. If you don't recognize it, it must be fancy, yeah?

Upon arrival, I was disappointed to find that my flat mates weren't here. It's pretty lonely so far. I also hadn't been able to get a connection to anyone at home, which was hard. I was really tired, but even more hungry, so I decided to venture into town for some groceries. I met a couple on the bus who reminded me of my parents and asked them where the nearest grocery store was. Our conversation:(ps- I'd like to point out that she was gesturing at me with her closed umbrella the whole time :)

Me: Excuse me, do you know where the nearest grocery store is?
Lady: Oh my goodness, are you from America?
Me: Yeah, I'm studying here til June.
Lady: Well, you're a ballsy one! (haha.) You're here alone then?
Me: Yeah, I just arrived a few hours ago.
Lady: Oh my! Have you rung your mum yet? (I gather this lady was a "mum" herself.)
Me: *shakes head no*
Lady: Are you frightened?
Me: *shakes head yes and starts crying*

Sigh. Not my proudest moment. They went on to tell me how I brave I was (needed to hear that), and that it's okay to be scared. Then they got off and walked me all the way to the store. I like the British.

Finally got a hold of my family and Ruby this afternoon, took a short nap, and later heard some noise in an upstairs hall. I went up, introduced myself and had dinner with Vincent from France and Fatima from India. I couldn't have been happier to meet them :)

So far I've been a little out of my comfort zone, and I've been on the brink of tears for most of the day :/ But I'm staying positive. I keep telling myself to just get through the first week. I know I'll adapt soon.

6 comments:

  1. Stay strong Abby! Sounds like things are going smoothely so far and i'm sure it'll only get better! I bet God put that nice couple on the bus just for you, He's always with you and so are my thoughts and prayers :)

    -devin

    P.S. If it makes you feal any better (and if i haven't told you already), i steadily cried my eyes out as soon as my plane started taxiing onto the runway and away from San Diego/home when i first came out to MD, so much for the "tough football and hockey playing midshipman" profile i thought i had, haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.P.S. (or P.S.S.?...)

    it looked like i had to use a gmail account to post...but i don't have one so i used my dog Jack's, the one with the faceBook page...lol :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. yayyy! my favorite thing about this is you saying you're out of your comfort zone but am staying positive. Give me a call sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Schmabs! Sorry I didn't get a chance to pimp your blog before you left, but it looks like you've got the hang of it. :)

    I'll be praying for you, and following your blog! Can't wait to hear more -- I know you'll do great.

    Love,
    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for these comments, guys. They really lifted my spirits :) More updates soon! Love Abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby, the story about you and the lady on the bus is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete