Thursday, January 21, 2010

Here Comes The Sun, do n do do...

The sun came out today! I never thought I'd be blogging about the sun, but here I am. It was so nice to see it. Kinda like a visit from an American friend or something. Even if our visit consisted of a quick hello and then good bye, I was SO happy to have a little sun on my face.

It surprises me that I have a hard time understanding the British sometimes. Their accent, awesome as it is, is almost lazy. They don't articulate much, consonants at the ends of words are completely lost. They don't say "th" they say "f", like think vs fink. Their lingo is funny too. "Ta" means thank you, as well as "Cheers". Everyone calls you love, and they actually refer to the bathroom as the "loo". I kinda thought that was only in movies. I asked a saleswoman where rain boots were, and she didn't know what I was talking about. They call them "wellies" here. (Olen ;) It's a mobile, not a cell phone. It's a marion, not a mall. They have milk here that lasts 6 months. How is that possible? And why don't we have it in the US?

Also, the girls in Leeds are notorious for skimpy clothing. I've never seen anything like it. Yes, at Towson I'd see those girls walking around in January in a little black dress on their way to a club, but that's nothing compared to Leeds. I would say the majority of the girls here walk around in a mini skirt and tanktop. Us study abroad kids can't get over it. We just stand there, jaws dropped, shivering in our coats and hats. If it wasn't a creeper thing to do, I'd get a picture for you. What's that all about? Craziness.
Anyway, I'm doing fine here. A little more homesick than I anticipated, but every day is a little easier. I am starting to get used to the city too. Living on this city campus is totally different than what I' used too at Towson. Cooking is a challenge. If you know any easy recipes, send them my way, eh?
More later! :)

4 comments:

  1. "So sorry to catch you on your mobile."
    "Uh... I slept with Billy Joel."
    "I feel like a perfect arse!"

    Find out if they really say "arse." But don't say what Phoebe says, unless they're rude. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, EVERY time someone says mobile I think of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Kim. And do you have a blog I can stalk? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I don't have a blog...I had one a while ago, but I was too shy to keep it up. I'm more of a blog-stalker than a blogger. However, I love, love, LOVE commenting on what other people write (Opinionated? Me? Nooooo...). <---Hmmm. I don't think I got the punctuation quite right there.

    I am on Facebook, and I'd love to add you so that I can continue following your adventures and keeping up with your family. I've been reading about you all (from Drew's and Drea's posts and blogs) for so long that I feel like I know you!

    (Basics about me: I'm 33, use to teach special education, just moved to Pittsburgh, PA on January 8th, have 3 JRTs)

    Please keep the British sayings coming--I love hearing about them. I remember a lot of people saying "Brilliant" for everything. :)

    Cheers!

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete