Friday, January 29, 2010

This Just In: England Rocks My Socks.

Just read over my previous blog entries. Wow has a lot changed in a week and a half. At this point, I am loving it here. I wake up in the morning, look out the window and think "My gosh, I'm in freakin Europe." If that isn't an exciting way to start each day, I don't know what is.

When I first arrived, I really questioned whether or not this whole thing was a big mistake; that maybe I was just not cut out for study abroad. Sometimes I still wonder this- in general I am not the bravest of people. Yes, I'd gladly sing infront of any kind of audience, no sweat, but this is different. If I'm unsure as to whether I'm cut out for this, I'll tell you one thing, being here is forcing me to be. A lot of this past week has been trial and error, but I'm kind of getting the hang of it. So I can't cook. Okay, I'll learn. And I can't navigate a city. Okay, I'll learn. It's almost a catch phrase here. If you can't do it, someone can, so ask for help and learn. I have found that if asked, people are willing to lend a hand :)

Yesterday was a good day. I haven't mentioned it, but mt flat is a DISASTER. When I got here, there was mold food stuck to the counter tops. Really, the place smelled like death. And the shower...don't get me started. As it turns out, I am living with 4 other people. One Chinese boy, a post grad who couldn't be more helpful, another boy from Manchester who sprays so much Axe I could suffocate :) and two female "freshers"- one called Abbi. I realize that they are 18 and this is the first time they are away from home. I also realize that at 18, I had a meal plan, someone to clean the dishes for me etc. They hold your hand a bit more in the US than they do here.

Either way, I felt a little like SnowWhite when she first sees the seven dwarfs home. Yikes.

So, I spent all of yesterday cleaning. Honestly, I enjoyed it. I felt in control of something, which was nice. I wore my rain boots and scrubbed that shower for an hour. I found a used condom on the floor that I hadn't seen up to that point because it was literally covered in grim. Ewwwwwwwwww!

After that I went to a Chaleigh, which is a Scottish dance. So fun. I ate haggus, which is big Scottish dish, and essentially the innards of a sheep. You know, it tasted like the innards of a sheep. The only way I could really describe it, is that it tasted like a farm. You know the way a farm smells? It was like that. In your mouth. The consistency wasn't all bad though.

Afterwards we all went to the Student Bar (seems like an oxi-moron or something, but it's not), got drinks and did karaoke. What a good time! My friend Brian sang Amish Paradise after sucking helium; definitely a high light :)

1 comment:

  1. Ew. I can't believe you ate something that tasted like a farm.

    "You really aaare disgusting" pahaha

    ReplyDelete