Friday, January 22, 2010

a little homesick

Pouring rain today. Good thing my umbrella is so cute.

Woke up and felt pretty homesick. Before I came, there was a meeting at Towson with some kids who'd studied abroad before. They sat us down and told us how to prepare, and what to expect from our trips abroad. They said that the first 3 weeks or so were really hard; that it'd be a bit of an emotional roller coaster. I remember thinking that that wouldn't be the case for me. Being new to a school is not a big deal. After Liberty, CSM and then Towson, I've got being the new kid down to an art. I get along with the majority of people I meet, and it takes a lot to get me down. And yeah, I knew it'd be hard to leave for so long, but I had no idea how hard it would actually be. I'm not used to being so moody- it is a bit like a roller coaster. My high's are really high, and my low's are really low.

My parents have been so supportive. I feel so lucky to have them. I called last night during family night, and hearing my siblings voices was great. I miss the noise of being home. Just little stuff like the vacuum going or Phoebe's collar clinking. I miss Towson as well! Having a cafeteria right outside my dorm is something I'd taken for granted. I miss the stuff I was involved in. I need to find somewhere to sing here ASAP. I miss swapping little anecdotes with my roommates/suitemates :)

I'm anxious to start classes; getting into a routine is key.

I've become really dependent on Christ- that's been a big positive about this whole situation. I talk to Him constantly, and I feel prayers from home. It is so comforting to know that while I'm so far away from everyone and everything I know, He's right here. There is something so incredibly comforting about knowing He's in control and has a plan for me.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you still haven't started classes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so awesome Abby, so good to hear that this trip is already becoming a great time of growth for you; growth in general but especially with God!

    btw, love the Beatles references in the last post, Here Comes the Sun, Hello Goodbye, (not sure if you meant that one though, haha)...not to mention Ticket to Ride earlier or maybe She's Leaving Home, or Getting Better now...sorry i'm rambling, i've been on a Beatles high since i've gotten all their remastered albums from my dad, i'll stop now :)
    oh! but let me know if you go to Abbey Road! :D

    -devin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devin, I've been on a Beatles kick too!- especially Ticket To Ride and all their early stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. abby! so... i'm loving how authentic your blog is... this will be so cool to look back at years down the line. =)

    keep writing (and i'll keep praying!!).

    cheers, or whatever they say in england,
    janaiha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Janaiha :) Glad you like reading it; I love writing it!

    Cheers! ;)

    ReplyDelete